Georgia Forestry - Air Operations Division
The Air Operations Unit of the Georgia Forestry Commission began its operation in Statesboro in May of 1958, under the guidance of Archie Paschal, the unit’s first pilot. The Unit consisted of 4 Piper Super Cubs and worked out of the present day hangar. In 1959, the present day office building was constructed.
The GFC Air Operations Unit has continually served the Statesboro District, now known as the Ogeechee District, since that beginning. In July of 2009, the Oconee East District Air Operations unit was transferred to the Statesboro Airport.
The Ogeechee District and Oconee District Air Operations Units now consists of three Cessna 182’s and covers an area comprised of 36 counties, providing aerial fire detection, fire suppression support and assisting Georgia Forestry Commission Foresters in the detection of insect damage to our pine forests.
In addition, the Air Operations Unit supports The Georgia Department of Natural Resources , Georgia State Patrol, GEMA and many other government entities within the state.
For more information you may visit the Georgia Forestry Commission website at: www.gfc.state.ga.us